(Serves 4-6 people)
- 1.5 kg fish slices / fish fillets
- 400g tomatoes (tinned or fresh), puréed
- 8-10 curry leaves
- ¼ tsp fenugreek seeds
- 3 ¼ tsps Gujarati seafood curry paste or use: (1½ tsp garlic paste, 1 tsp chilli paste (optional) and ¾ tsp turmeric paste/powder)
- 2 tsps DKhat Spices Coriander & Cumin powder
- salt to taste
- 3 tsps chopped coriander leaves for garnishing
- Marinate fish with 3 tsps Gujarati seafood curry paste or (1 heaped tsp garlic paste, 1 tsp chilli paste(optional) and ½ tsp turmeric paste/powder), 2 tsps coriander & cumin powder and 1 tblsp of oil.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a fry pan. Add fenugreek seeds.
- When the fenugreek seeds turn darker, lower the heat and then add tomato purée.
- Add curry leaves.
- Cover and stir occasionally.
- After about 5 minutes, add a little less than ¼ tsp of Gujarati seafood curry paste or (¼ tsp garlic paste, ¼ tsp turmeric paste/powder). *This is to add flavour to the gravy).
- Stir and cook for 1 minute then add marinated fish.
- Cook in medium heat for 3-5 minutes.
- Add about 1/2 - 1 cup of water (depends on your preference). Add salt to taste.
- Turn the fish over.
- Cover the fry pan and cook.
- When the fish is almost cooked, add a few drops of lemon juice and stir.
- Once the fish is cooked. Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve with rice or roti.