This curry paste is one of the key ingredients used in most Gujarati curries. Traditionally, it used to be made with a stone grinder or mortal and pestle, freshly ground daily as needed. Nowadays, it's mostly ground using electric blenders and food processors.
- 40g peeled ginger
- 20g peeled garlic
- 20g peeled turmeric or (you can use 1 tsp turmeric powder)
- 20g chillies (use mixed green and red chillies) *use less if you prefer it mild.
- Cut ginger, garlic, turmeric into smaller pieces to help make the grinding process easier.
- Add ginger, garlic, turmeric, chillies into a blender/grinder and grind it into a paste. (You can add a little bit of water to help with the grinding).
- Curry paste can be refrigerated for a few days or frozen for a few months.